Communicating Student Learning
For the 2022-23 school year, some schools will be reporting your child’s understanding featuring the words emerging, developing, proficient and extending. This new language will be replacing our previous use of letter grades, percentages and terms such as ‘Not Yet Meeting’, ‘Meeting’ and ‘Exceeding’.
This new proficiency scale will be implemented across BC in September of 2023. We want to use this year to help students, parents and teachers prepare, adjust and understand the changes. We welcome you to explore the scale on page 2 of this letter.
Why is this scale better than what we have used in the past?
For more information on the redesigned curriculum or the shift in how we will be assessing it, please visit:
- ‘Making Sense of Change’ Video Series - Communicating Student Learning – Parents & Students – School District No. 67 (Okanagan Skaha) (sd67.bc.ca)
- June 2022 Draft reporting order - Microsoft PowerPoint - K-12 Student Reporting Policy Framework -Interim Supporting Materials (gov.bc.ca)
- BC’s Vision for Student Success - Vision for Student Success - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)
- SD67 Communicating Student Learning (Report Cards) - 173733-8b88fb3c-5f29-4f57-b8cf-2fd979a73e07.pdf (edl.io)
- BC’s Curriculum and assessment overview - BC’s Curriculum and assessment overview – BC for High School (gov.bc.ca)